Skip to main content

Butter – Surry Hills

When I heard there was a place that had fried chicken, an awesome selection of kicks at the front and a wide selection of drinks to indulge in, I knew I had to check it out. This is the place that is constantly filled with patrons from open til close Monday to Saturday.

I thought I’d try and beat the crowd and rock up a little earlier just before 6pm on a Wednesday, however when we arrived the place was in full swing. Luckily there was one table towards the back near the kitchen but I wasn’t complaining as the smell of juicy fried chicken filled the air. The waitress was extremely friendly and explained what ‘Butter’ was all about. The short story – Fried Chicken!

Bit of eye candy art
Ok the slightly longer version is that the chicken is sold in packs of 3 pieces and 13 pieces. The 3 pack comes with a thigh piece, 2 tenders and side of coleslaw. The 13 pack comes with a generous serving of 4 thigh pieces, 9 tenders, 2 sides of pickles, 2 coleslaws and 3 sauces. A monster of a pack, I recommend eating this if you are feeling extremely hungry or are in a group of 3 or more. There’s 4 levels of heat to choose from: naked, OG, fire and hot AF. If you are dining with a vegetarian they serve tofu nuggets as well. There are also a selection of beers, sparkling wine, champagne and slushies to wash it down with.




Wall of kicks at entrance
If you want something to munch on in between sets of fried chicken they have shoestring fries (Laces), corn on the cob (Miso Corny), coleslaw and pickles. If straight up chicken isn’t your thing, you can buy it as a sandwich which is a fried chicken piece with pickles and coleslaw sandwiched in a bun.

We opt for a 3 pack (with an extra thigh piece for only $4) with OG heat, chicken sandwich, laces and the miso corny.

Chicken, burger, slaw and corn
As soon as I take a bite out of the chicken the crunch of it overwhelms me. It is the crunchiest thing I have ever eaten but also very juicy on the inside. It’s an awesome feeling and I’m glad I ordered that extra piece. The heat from the OG sauce is not too spicy but complements the flavour of the buttermilk fried chicken well. It reminds me a little of Korean fried chicken and I’m glad I have my side of beer to cool my mouth down. If you can handle spicy food better than the average person then please go for the hot AF and let me know how that tastes. The fact that the pieces are boneless makes it quite easy to eat and there are handy wet wipes on the table for when you’re done.

The chicken sandwich is on another level. Before I bite into it I can tell just by looking at it that the bun is as soft as a cloud. The soft bun mixed with the crunchy/juicy chicken as well as having a few pickles inside makes it the perfect combination. You won’t regret ordering this.

I also have to make note of the winning side dishes that come with the meal. The fries are shoestring fries with a shitaki spice on it. They’re quite salty but fried to perfection and a generous serving is given. The coleslaw is deliciously creamy and comes in a large soft serve like cup on the side. Being a lover of corn, I would say this should be a must try if you come to ‘Butter’. It’s smeared all over with miso butter making you want more every time you take a bite out of it.

One thing that makes the meal even more enjoyable is the selection of hip hop beats blasting through the speakers. Bite after bite I’m hearing songs from Future, A$ap, Drake and other various artists which I subconsciously bop my head to. 

There are also a selection of soft serves available if you can stomach them. Unfortunately I was not able to on this occasion but I will definitely go back for round 2.
The verdict is that place serves some of the best fried chicken in Sydney right now. The place is quite small so best to get in early or go in a small group. If you like your chicken fried, your beats phat and your wine sparkling then definitely check it out.

What Would Lobi Eat? Fried chicken with the OG sauce with a side of corn.

Butter Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Trip 2017 - New York City

This was my third visit to this amazing city and once again delivered something new to the table in terms of the delicious variety of food available. When one thinks of New York, the first thing that comes to mind is pizza! This is a city that definitely has no shortage of pizza restaurants and Rubirosa in my opinion is one of the best out there. Located in Nolita, this small pizza restaurant delivers thin, crispy pizzas with a variety of topping choices. We ended up choosing a sampler of bruschetta for starters and a large pizza (half classic half Rubirosa supreme). The sampler bruschetta was a trio of different types of bruschetta they had on offer. Each one packed with flavour but not over doing it at all. A mixture of your typical bruschetta with cherry tomatoes, basil, olive oil and garlic, a pesto bruschetta and a creamy cheese and honey bruschetta. Sampler bruschetta Onto the main course, the pizza! A beautiful circle of dough half covered in bright red sau

Hawker - Sydney CBD

As you can tell I love my Malaysian food and Hawker does not disappoint. I’ve been to this place many times before but I recently won their monthly Instagram competition and was invited to a dinner for 2 for free! I immediately took up the offer and ate until my stomach reached full capacity. It’s a casual Malaysian restaurant located in the Sydney CBD. I often come here for lunch and because it is so spacious inside, there usually isn’t a long line. They seat you quickly and the menu, although not large, has quite a variety to choose from. Po Piah For starters we ordered the Po Piah, which is kind of like a Vietnamese rice paper roll filled with an assortment of fillings including Chinese sausage, shredded omelette, crispy shallots and chilli paste. It’s a typical Malaysian starter which is not found everywhere in Sydney and it has a light consistency to it so it doesn’t spoil your appetite. Oyster Omelette We also ordered the oyster omelette also known as Or Chien.

USA Trip 2017 - Orlando

Next up Orlando! Home to the best theme parks in the world! This review will be quite a short one, mainly about the food I ate in Universal Studios. But boy was it great food! Normally when you think of theme park food you think of boring burgers and fried food covered with some sauce but Universal Studios offers a whole lot more than that. There are so many restaurants and food outlets at Universal Studios and that’s not even in the actual theme park. A lot restaurants can be accessed on the outside which is called Universal City Walk which is free to walk around and explore. One place which I was really keen to visit was The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium and Savory Feast Kitchen. As soon as you enter Universal City Walk you won’t be able to miss Toothsome as it is one of the biggest structures in the area and reminded me of a giant chocolate factory. The crazy shop at Toothsome It has a cool steam punk theme where the waitresses and waiters dress up in old time clo