Skip to main content

Ho Jiak – Strathfield


I first heard about this place on where else but Instagram. Since I am Malaysian by heritage I’m always keen to try out any restaurant/eatery which has any Malaysian sounding dishes in their menu. Ho Jiak meaning ‘delicious’ in hokkien (dialect spoken in Malaysia), I thought I must try this place out to put their name to the test. 

It’s a small shop in the food court area of Strathfield plaza with limited seating inside. However we get there early and manage to grab a table inside.
There’s a large variety of Malaysian dishes and I want to try them all! Unfortunately my stomach space cannot handle all that goodness so I end up choosing the ‘Special Sauce Pork Rib’ with rice, ‘Penang Fried Koay Teow’ and ‘Roti Kosong’ which is roti with a side of curry sauce.

I’m a sucker for Fried Koay Teow, aka Char Koay Teow and this has got to be one of the better ones I’ve had in Sydney. There’s a little bit of a charred taste from the wok which is a good thing and reminds me of authentic Char Koay Teow from Penang (which is definitely a good thing). There is a little bit of spice as well and if that isn’t enough, they provide a small side of sambal to mix in. From this dish alone, I knew I would be back to try more. On a side note, you can pay an extra $3 and have duck egg mixed in with your noodles.


Char koay teow
The pork ribs are also a delight to eat. It’s lightly deep fried and covered in a sticky sweet and sour sauce. It’s a simple dish, served with white rice and a few pieces of cucumber and tomato. Not as much meat on the rib to my liking but the flavour (and Koay Teow) is still there.

Pork ribs
The roti comes last as it takes 10-15 minutes to prepare but you definitely want to save stomach space for this. It’s probably the most aesthetically simple dish but don’t let looks deceive you. It’s crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside which is what you want in a good roti. Pulls apart easily with chopsticks and allows you to dip it in the generous serving of curry sauce. It’s a winning combination and all three meals are definitely ‘Ho Jiak’.

Roti with curry sauce


This place definitely lives up to its name and I will be eating here again. The surrounding pictures of all their other dishes makes you want to order more and take it home to enjoy in your own comfort and I’d be lying if I said that’s not what I was thinking at the time. However the Laksa, Har Mee, Nasi Pataya, Combination Hor Fun, Hainan Chicken Rice and many other dishes will have to wait until next time.


What Would Lobi Eat? Everything in this place.

Ho Jiak

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Trip 2017 - New York City

This was my third visit to this amazing city and once again delivered something new to the table in terms of the delicious variety of food available. When one thinks of New York, the first thing that comes to mind is pizza! This is a city that definitely has no shortage of pizza restaurants and Rubirosa in my opinion is one of the best out there. Located in Nolita, this small pizza restaurant delivers thin, crispy pizzas with a variety of topping choices. We ended up choosing a sampler of bruschetta for starters and a large pizza (half classic half Rubirosa supreme). The sampler bruschetta was a trio of different types of bruschetta they had on offer. Each one packed with flavour but not over doing it at all. A mixture of your typical bruschetta with cherry tomatoes, basil, olive oil and garlic, a pesto bruschetta and a creamy cheese and honey bruschetta. Sampler bruschetta Onto the main course, the pizza! A beautiful circle of dough half covered in bright red sau

Hawker - Sydney CBD

As you can tell I love my Malaysian food and Hawker does not disappoint. I’ve been to this place many times before but I recently won their monthly Instagram competition and was invited to a dinner for 2 for free! I immediately took up the offer and ate until my stomach reached full capacity. It’s a casual Malaysian restaurant located in the Sydney CBD. I often come here for lunch and because it is so spacious inside, there usually isn’t a long line. They seat you quickly and the menu, although not large, has quite a variety to choose from. Po Piah For starters we ordered the Po Piah, which is kind of like a Vietnamese rice paper roll filled with an assortment of fillings including Chinese sausage, shredded omelette, crispy shallots and chilli paste. It’s a typical Malaysian starter which is not found everywhere in Sydney and it has a light consistency to it so it doesn’t spoil your appetite. Oyster Omelette We also ordered the oyster omelette also known as Or Chien.

USA Trip 2017 - Orlando

Next up Orlando! Home to the best theme parks in the world! This review will be quite a short one, mainly about the food I ate in Universal Studios. But boy was it great food! Normally when you think of theme park food you think of boring burgers and fried food covered with some sauce but Universal Studios offers a whole lot more than that. There are so many restaurants and food outlets at Universal Studios and that’s not even in the actual theme park. A lot restaurants can be accessed on the outside which is called Universal City Walk which is free to walk around and explore. One place which I was really keen to visit was The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium and Savory Feast Kitchen. As soon as you enter Universal City Walk you won’t be able to miss Toothsome as it is one of the biggest structures in the area and reminded me of a giant chocolate factory. The crazy shop at Toothsome It has a cool steam punk theme where the waitresses and waiters dress up in old time clo